Boat Service Schedule: How Often and When Should You Service Your Boat?
Oil changes, filter changes, cooling system and belt and hose inspections – this boat service schedule shows exactly how and when to service your boat in PE
Engine, gearbox, hull, steering, electrical systems – boats are incredibly fun and awesome, but you must take care of your equipment.
Even the best outboards in the country need proper maintenance. And it’s not just for the warranty (although that’s important, too). Ensuring your boat is in top-notch condition guarantees your safety and prolongs the life of your vessel.
So let’s talk about a proper boat service schedule…
How Often Does a Boat Engine Need to Be Serviced?
Regular engine servicing is vital to maintain its reliability and performance. And how often you service could depend on its age and how often you use the boat.
But the general rule of thumb is:
- First service: at 20hrs
- Annual service: once a year or at 100hrs, whichever comes first.
What’s Done During an Engine Service?
It’s not always the same – sometimes a little extra care is needed. But generally, a boat engine service might include things like:
- Oil Change: Old engine oil is drained, and fresh, high-quality oil is added to lubricate engine components.
- Filter Replacement: Fuel and oil filters are replaced to maintain clean fuel and oil systems.
- Spark Plug Inspection and Replacement: Spark plugs are checked for wear and replaced if necessary to ensure proper ignition.
- Cooling System Maintenance: The cooling system is inspected, and coolant levels are adjusted to prevent overheating.
- Belt and Hose Inspection: Belts and hoses are checked for wear and tear and replaced if needed.
- Fuel System Inspection: The fuel system is inspected for leaks or blockages.
- Electrical System Check: Electrical connections and components are inspected for corrosion and proper functioning.
- Propeller and Gearbox Inspection: The propeller and gearbox are inspected for any damage or misalignment.
Learn more about exactly what’s done during a boat service.
What Other Parts of the Boat Need to Be Serviced?
Aside from the engine, other essential parts of the boat also require regular servicing:
- Hull and Bottom: The hull and bottom should be cleaned, and inspected for damage, and antifouling applied to prevent marine growth.
- Steering and Controls: Steering systems and controls need to be checked for smooth operation and lubricated if necessary.
- Electrical Systems: All electrical systems, including lights, gauges, and navigation equipment, should be inspected.
- Safety Equipment: Ensure that safety equipment such as life jackets, fire extinguishers, and flares are in good condition and within their expiry dates.
Find the right repair shop to help you navigate your boat repairs.
When and How Often Do They Need to Be Serviced?
The frequency of servicing these parts of the boat may vary. Hull and bottom maintenance, for example, should be done annually, preferably before the boating season begins.
Steering and control systems may require inspection and lubrication every six months, while electrical systems and safety equipment should be checked regularly and replaced or upgraded as needed.
When Are the Best Times of the Year to Schedule Your Boat Service?
The ideal time to schedule your boat service largely depends on your location and boating habits. In Port Elizabeth, where Nauti-Tech Suzuki is based, the best times to service your boat are typically during the off-season or before the peak boating season.
This ensures that your boat is in excellent condition when you’re ready to hit the water.
How Long Does a Service Take?
Normally, it only takes a few hours. But it all depends on the extent of the work required.
Sometimes we have to replace spark plugs and impellers, etc. And that takes a bit longer.
The good news is that if you book a boat service with us, we only have a service charge, so it’s a flat rate for your service – within reason, of course.
You can always discuss the estimated service time with your Nauti-Tech Suzuki technician when booking your service appointment.
How to Book a Service with Nauti-Tech Suzuki
Booking a service with us is super easy:
- Phone 041 585 1481 (PE)
- Email email@example.com
- WhatsApp +27 61 512 7498
- Contact us via the website
- Or drop by at 5 Produce Street in South End, PE.
ALL NEW BOATS
Plus: Deep sea, ski-boat, river or cabin cruisers: See all our custom-built new boats. And discover everything we’ve repowered, refitted, refurbed and all new launches + their motors, all under our collective of boats.
THE PURSUIT OF AWESOME
Legend also has it that most boats run better under Suzuki power. Discover it for yourself among these Suzuki outboards.
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW
To ensure you always get first dibs on the latest deals and be the first to know about news, events and special offers by joining the Nauti-Tech Suzuki Facebook community and signing up for our newsletter.
Need to refurbish, refit and revive your boat? Take a peek inside our award-winning Suzuki Marine workshop.